Trade fair novelty for advanced wastewater treatment: The advantages of the new HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt®
The new HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt® will celebrate its premiere at IFAT 2022: HUBER will exhibit an original machine of this filter type at the world’s leading trade fair for environmental technologies. The HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt® consists of several disc-shaped and revolving arranged filter elements mounted on a center tube. These are installed vertically and fitted with special filter bags made of innovative pile cloth fabric. The pile fabric has a multidimensional structure and consists of a filter-active pile fabric layer and a support fabric.
The wastewater entering the filter chamber flows continuously through the individual filter discs from the outside to the inside. In the process, particulate matter is reliably retained in the pile fabric structure. The retention of solids increases the filter resistance and the difference in water levels between the wastewater and clear water sides rises. At a certain pressure drop, the gradual cleaning of the filter discs begins. During this process, retained solids are reliably and effectively removed from the rotating filter elements via suction bars.
The round filter discs ensure that no dead zones are created during the cleaning process. To prevent siltation of the basin, the settled sludge at the bottom of the basin is sucked out at regular intervals using suction lances.
The HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt® has a wide range of applications in advanced wastewater treatment. Typical fields of application are:
- Retention of fine suspended substances (sludge flakes, microplastics)
- Flocculation filtration for phosphorus elimination
- Prefiltration in the “Fourth Treatment Stage” (ozonation, granulated activated carbon)
- Post-filtration in the “Fourth Treatment Stage” (separation of powdered activated carbon)
The HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt® impresses with the following product-specific features:
- Maximized free surface of the filter segments due to an innovative support structure and optimized use of the filter area due to the round design of the discs
- Easy-to-maintain and powerful central rotary lobe pump, dry-installed for disc and bottom extraction
- High ease of maintenance due to optimized design of the filter discs and the suction system
- High cost efficiency due to minimum system footprint through optimized pulley diameter
In the near future, the HUBER Pile Cloth Media Filter RotaFilt® will start operation at the Kreßberg WWTP (Baden-Württemberg) for phosphorus elimination by flocculation filtration and at the Bickenbach WWTP (Hesse) as prefiltration for advanced wastewater treatment for removal of trace substances (ozonation followed by activated carbon filtration).